As an automation and equipment reliability solutions provider, we are excited about the future of the chemical industry. There are numerous growth drivers, which include innovative building materials, consumer products, nanotechnology, and 3D printing technologies to name a few. These changes and worldwide population growth are affecting the entire chemical industry, which consists of different segments including Specialty Chemicals, Petro-Chemicals, Polymers & Plastics, Agricultural chemicals, Industrial Gases, and Inorganic Bulk Chemicals.
There are always challenges that come with exciting times. As such, manufacturing chemical products often require controlling complex processes, managing tough regulatory requirements, and creating a knowledge based workforce to be successful. To lead through these challenges, we have seen a desire to move towards top quartile reliability performance, environmental stewardship, and operational excellence.
STEM team future
While addressing these challenges, many of the Chemical sites we support are experiencing retirements of experienced operators, engineers, managers, electricians, chemists, and maintenance team members.
While encouraging students to consider careers in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) to enable future team members, Chemical industry leaders are collaborating with companies like ours on the common goal of improving plant performance.
We believe that current consumer and industrial trends like customized product selection and continuation of just in time deliveries to minimize inventory carrying costs, will keep the pressure on the non-bulk manufacturers to manage smaller production runs with shorter lead times. This is creating an opportunity for those flexible and highly reliable chemical manufacturers to create a sustainable competitive advantage for many years to come.
We believe that delivering operational excellence and top quartile reliability will be the keys to long-term success. Our approach is to leverage the Operational Certainty model of Emerson Automation Solutions. Operational Certainty helps drive toward top quartile performance by:
- Improving Reliability
- Minimizing Emissions
- Optimizing Production
- Ensuring Safety.
We are committed to working as a collaborative community with our customers. By doing so, we can help drive their Operational Certainty, using the Emerson Plantweb Digital Ecosystem as the roadmap to make investment decisions toward improving plant performance.
We have been fortunate enough to work with a number of chemical manufacturers that have leveraged our application and controls expertise to improve their business results. With over 80 years serving the chemical industry as a valve and automation solutions provider, we have developed expertise and pass that tribal knowledge on while leveraging new innovative approaches that are available with technology. In essence, our strength is continuous learning and executing best practices. Here are some of the areas that are relevant to the chemical industry include the following.
- Optimizing continuous processes around constraints – distillation, filtration, evaporation, heat exchangers, and blending.
- Optimizing batch processes to reduce cycle times and variability– reactors, mixers, product transfers, heating, cooling, PH, and blending.
- Minimizing energy consumed and variability during drying processes.
- Minimizing fuel burned across the combustion curve for your boilers.
- Reducing header pressure swings with proven control strategies and expert tuning.
- Reducing time to trouble-shoot a tripped boiler or thermal oxidizer with our burner management systems (BMS).
- Protecting vessels with our pressure protection solutions: regulators, pressure relief valves, and tank blanketing.
- Reducing process variability and increasing service life with valve selection and procurement.
- Improving process reliability and managing production targets with control system design and procurement (DCS, ICSS, PAS, and PLCs).
- Reducing process variability with proper control strategy design and implementation services.
- Improving peace of mind with safety instrumented system (SIS) selection and implementation.
- Improving operator performance with high performance graphic display design (HMI) and implementation.
- Minimizing nuisance alarms leveraging an alarm management design and implementation process (ISA 18.2)
- Eliminating or reducing leaks and spills by expert applications of fluid sealing solutions – Application Engineering and product selection mechanical seals, gaskets, and packing.
- Complying with fugitive emissions requirements with low emissions valve packing.
- Predictive Maintenance to enable condition monitoring of instruments, valves, and rotating equipment.
- Protecting your rotating equipment and your personnel with Machinery Protection Systems.
- Improving communications and access to experts with mobility solutions – mobile worker, DeltaV Mobile, AMS ARES, and Electronic Logbooks.
- Providing historical knowledge for process improvements leveraging process historians – DeltaV and OSIsoft PI.
- Extending asset life of plant equipment with protective coatings on tanks and metal parts to protect against erosion and corrosion.
|Operation Certainty – for a sustainable advantage|
|DeltaV – DCS, SIS, BMS, PAS, ICSS – Greenfield, Brownfield, Expansions, Modernizations|
|Visualization & Mobility – DeltaV Operate, DeltaV Live, DeltaV Mobile, Mobile Worker, Logbooks, ARES|
|Alarm Management – Alarm Rationalization, DeltaV Alarm Operations, Analyze, Alarm Help, & Alarm Mosaic|
|Batch Control & Operations – DeltaV Batch, Analytics, Historian, Recipe Studio, Campaign Manager, Recipe Exchange|
|Advanced Control for Process Variability Reduction and Optimization – DeltaV Insight, Adapt, Fuzzy, Neural, Predict, Predict Pro, EnTech Toolkit, SmartProcess Solutions Application Packages|
|Equipment & Device Health – AMS Device Manager & Snap-On/s, AMS MHM, Condition monitoring – on-line vibration, DeltaV Diagnostics, DeltaV System Health Monitoring, Back-up & Recovery, Virtualization|
|Plantweb Advisor Series – Health Advisor, Performance Advisor, Energy Advisor|
|Historians and Event Tracking – DeltaV Continuous Historian, Advanced Continuous Historian (OSIsoft PI), Enterprise Historian (OSIsoft PI), Event Chronicle, DeltaV Reporter|
|People Reliability – Learning Programs, Operator Training Simulations (MIMIC)|
|Support Plans – support plan options – ST100, ST200, ST300, ST400|
|Final Control – Final Control: Control valves, pressure relief valves, automated valves, isolation valves, actuators, and regulators.|
|Prediction & protection systems – AMS 6500, AMS 9420, AMS 9330, AMS 2600, AMS 6300, Sensors, Probes, turnkey solutions.|
|Field Communicators – AMS TREX (Instruments & Valves), AMS 2140 (Vibration Monitoring and Alignment)|
|Fluid Sealing – Mechanical Seals, Low E packing, Gaskets|
|Asset Life Extension – Advanced Reinforced Coatings (ARC)|
|Valve & Instrument Services – Midwest Valve Services, Emerson I&VS|
|Reliability Services – Vibration Monitoring, Balancing and Alignment, Motion Amplification, 3D Model Analysis.|
|Plantweb Digital Ecosystem – Industrial Internet Of Things (IIOT)|